Thursday, January 9, 2014

Happy New Year 2014!

Sometimes its easier to give up than continue with something.  When I started 8000 steps, I was excited, then overcome with life's everyday happenings.  I diligently wore my body media and my only goal was to reach 8000 steps a day.  I wasn't serious or committed to weight loss.  I have had some medical issues that haven't been so easy to overcome, but create struggle in my everyday activities.  The second part of 2013  I finally went and had more testing done on my GI system. Not only did I have a hiatel hernia but also a para-esophageal hernia.  Most of my stomach has been residing in my chest these days.  I have some serious attacks where I'm unable to control the pain, feel severe pain in my shoulder and chest, and for hours want to cry.  The risk is the stomach could turn on itself, causing necrosis, or get wrapped around the esophagus.  Not pleasant thoughts.  My GI directed me to a surgeon who decided that I could have surgery BUT he wanted me to have bariatric surgery done with it, to decrease the risk (ie the stomach is no longer big enough to move) or lose 20-25 pounds before hand.  All along I have been teaching my classes 3 times a week and often subbing.   This pic above of me from May/June 2013.  I realized that I rarely have photos taken full body, and couldn't find any on my phone for this post.  The lower is photo is from early September prior to going to the Surgeon.
early september 2013


When I met the surgeon it was the end of September, and I was hoping for corrective surgery during Thanksgiving.  Well obviously with his requirements that wasn't going to happen.  I went home and thought over his demands.  I fluctuate about 20 pounds over the last 20 years.  When my daughter was 3, I lost 40 pounds, but slowly over time let 20 of it creep on and off. I never went up to my highest weight since then but still struggle.   I decided I really didn't want to have bariatric surgery where its permanent, and that is what the physician is pushing for. So I went to my family physician and had a serious discussion, I like her she's very down to earth, doesn't shove medication at you and can be your biggest cheerleader!  We talked about my options- that bariatric surgery was originally designed for hiatel hernia patients and those suffering from GERD, but I know I don't want that after reviewing tons of information.  So we talked about diets and what would be safe and effective for the rapid loss I wanted.  I asked about weight watchers, she said it was more effective for weight maintenance than quick loss.  We discussed medi fast, and other liquid diet options, vs real food and exercise.  She recommended using My Fitness Pal on line to track food and exercise.  I also have a Body Media device which tracks sleep, steps, exercise, and talks with My fitness pal so the food diary only has to be done once, and the calories burned transfer over to the same program as well. No matter what you choose, it all requires self control, and paying attention to what you put into your mouth, and how you treat your body.  On October 1, I started a 1200 calorie diet with exercise along side it and 8000 steps.  I wanted to lose no less than 2 pounds a week.  by Thanksgiving I had lost 20 pounds, including the 2 pounds I lost during Thanksgiving weekend.  Over December, I just wanted to maintain, because I knew it was better to keep the loss off, then spend  a lot of time being frustrated over holiday parties etc..  So I managed to lose 1 pound over that time, weighing yesterday with a total of a 21 pound loss for 2013 and basically 12 weeks of dieting/maintenance.  Since then I have lost 3 pant sizes going from a 18 woman's to a 14 woman's.  I'm at the bottom of the woman's/plus sizes.  My shirts have also changed.  I keep buying XXL but then get it home and realize yeah that doesn't look to good.  Granted brands make the difference on fit, but some of my shirts that are 18's feel like bags. For the first time in many years I've been able to find boots to fit my calves.  I've gone from a 20 inch calf to a 17.  You have no idea how cool this is.  I love boots, and now own two pair.  I will have to have someone take a photo of me since I've lost 22 pounds now.  But for now I just have pre weight loss photos so you can see where I started at the end of September.  I want to get this posted now.

  I have a new goal, and that's to continue on this journey of weight loss.  Since my surgery is finally scheduled for February 7, I would like to take 10 more pounds off before then.  The weight loss isn't helping my symptoms at all, in fact my attacks have been more frequent, and unexpected.  during recovery from the surgery you are on all liquids for about 2 weeks, and progress to soft foods, so weight loss is continued during that process, while the esophagus  & stomach heal, as their is much swelling and swallowing is difficult.  I figure this will be me at my lowest weight in 20 years.  I have a goal to lose a total of 50 lbs for 2014.  I'm hoping that I can achieve most of it before mid June. My daughter graduates from college in London England in July and we will be traveling for her ceremony.  Then we will spend a week on vacation somewhere in the UK.  We haven't decided yet, and it will depend on where we can get reservations with our timeshare unit.

So if you would like to stay on the journey with me, I will continue do a minimum of 8000 steps, and 1200 calories/day over the next 6 months. I will continue to post weekly, most likely Tuesdays or Wednesdays of most weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment